Staircases

Hi everyone! 
Happy Friday!

Thank you for reading, browsing, commenting and following my blog! 

I couldn't resist this!
Storybook Magic via Tumbler


I'm talking staircases today.  To carpet or not to carpet?

Personally I prefer not to carpet, but I have fitted carpets on my stairs.  I'm thinking of tearing it all out and painting it in tough white gloss  to ensure it's hard wearing and resistant to scuffs.  It's easier to clean when those muddy feet trample up the stairs...or perhaps installing a sisal stair runner ...

So how we do decide on whether to carpet or leave it as plain wood?  It all comes down to personal preferences and whether or not you can stand the noise factor.

Do your family take their shoes off when they go upstairs or do they keep them on?
We all live differently.  

If you have a family the size of a rugby team then possibly the noise will deafen you!


Wood is tactile underfoot and easy to clean  whether you have pets, or children, but it can also be a little cold on bare feet in colder climates, but it always looks good.

Does a bare wooden stairwell suit the interior  decor of your home?  Perhaps your interior is more suited to carpeted stairs?

Carpets on the other hand, offer comfort and warmth.  But they are certainly not easier to clean than plain wooden staircases.  They pick up dirt easily and it's not really cost effective to have then steam cleaned every few months.  A few accidental spills and the entire stairwell looks dirty.

A little inspiration on stair carpets versus wooden flooring:

Well suited to a boutique Hotel a la Paris
Hotel du Petit Moulin via Pinterest


A touch of the animal...
Pinterest


Sisal stairwell runner 
For the Home via Pinterest


Eye catching orange
Hall via Pinterest


Beautiful tactile wooden staircase left bare
Ritdesigns.co.uk


Black and white, very effective
House to home



An all white staircase in what seems to be an all white home.
I love interiors via Pinterest



A very white space indeed!
design sponge.com


The white painted staircase is well suited to the wood paneled walls of this cottage
Pinterest


Beautifully crafted bespoke wooden stairwell
Derek S. via Pinterest


So what do you think?
To carpet or not?
Wooden stairs, painted or natural wood?

I'll have to think about this one.

Until next time!
Sharon
xxx

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Franka! I'll be popping over to your blog for a lovely browse. Thanks for joining me on this journey! x

      Delete
  2. Dear Sharon,

    Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. It is much appreciated! You showed us some beautiful staircases. I have to paint mine soon, so inspiration enough on your blog :-)!

    Have a lovely new week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on this beautiful blog. I look forward to a wonderful year of inspiration. Have a happy New Year filled with all sorts of pretty things and delightful experiences with those you love.
    Carolina Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Carolina for your very kind words. Wishing you well for this new year!
      Sharon

      Delete
  4. I love the wooden staircases, I also like the painted ones, white or white and black. Here in Canada we all take our shoes off in our homes, so the carpets stay cleaner. But I love wooden floors and stairs best.
    Happy New Year to you and your family, Sharon.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. wooden Staircases are fundamentally a means to get from one point to another, they become cool—and worth seeking out—when the form is made at least as important as the function. Whether in shops, museums, or the great outdoors, the staircases we’ve found are inspiring works of public art and provide interesting perspective on a destination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great designs! I am currently looking to renovate my home and installing a new set of Spiral Stairs. We are also facing the dilemma of whether or not to put carpet on our staircase or not. But after looking at these photos, I think carpet will add a nice touch of elegance to our staircase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice staircases! I just installed floating staircases in my house and it turned out to look very great! Great post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts