Another day out in East Sussex

I hope you like churches, because this post is all about a tiny parish church in East Sussex.  When we visited Charleston Farmhouse recently, our lovely tour guide insisted we couldn't leave without seeing Berwick Church.

The church is a grade I listed building and is said to stand on hallowed ground. The Parish Church of Berwick has stood on this ground for more than 1000 years!  The first church was built of wood, and one of them was made of flint and part of an existing wall bears testimony to this.   The present church was built around the 12th century.

The interesting thing about this church is that the interior was painted by Vanessa Bell, Duncan Grant and Quentin Bell during the 2nd world war.   It's very small, very intimate and of course has a beautiful peaceful serenity.  The grounds were mostly dotted with old gravestones, covered with moss and wild flowers.  A beautiful place with spectacular views over the Sussex Downs.




















I hope you're enjoying the summer weather.  We had a thunderstorm last night, and it was lovely to hear the rain on the windowpanes.
Last but not least, welcome to my new followers, thank you for joining me!

Time for a cup of tea!




Comments

  1. Wonderful!Love this post.Would love to visit the area.Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, yes it's a very pretty area.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, love the photos, thanks for sharing. The weather has been pretty hot here in Holland, but today was wonderful, just 24 degrees and a lovely breeze..
    Hugs
    Erna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely, we are all so glad summer has finally arrived...but autumn is beckoning as well, the mornings are chillier than usual... Hugs x

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful church Sharon! It looks like your tour guide was right. The murals by Duncan Grant and Vanessa Bell look impressive.

    Have a lovely Sunday!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to plan a visit when you come to England again Madelief. It's well worth it!

      Delete
  4. Wowwww beautiful post Sharon ....love it...!..x!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful church and grounds, the paintings inside are amazing! Your photos are all fabulous, the ones of the rolling downs are what I always seen in my minds eye when I think of England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy, thank you, it was so lovely and so special. A beautiful little church. x

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog Sharon. I have so enjoyed reading your posts on Charleston, and can't believe that I still haven't been there yet, as it is within an hour's drive from me! Definitely on my list now. The church is stunning!

    Have a lovely week,

    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophia, you must visit you will not be disappointed! S

      Delete
  7. Hi Sharon.

    One day I'm going to visit England's countryside. The books I've read & the movies I've seen sometimes make me wish I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Regina, how very sweet of you. I know what you mean, I feel the same, like you're in a Jane Austen novel...very beautiful.

      Delete
  8. Sharon, o lugar é lindo, nas fotos dá para sentir a atmosfera de paz...a Regina Melo tem razão este lugar remete à cenas de filmes e livros cujo enredo nos envolve em história/tradição.
    Bjos, amiga querida, e ótimo final de semana.
    Sílvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Silvia, yes England is full of lovely places to visit, especially the countryside. It has a certain magic about it... Have a lovely weekend. S

      Delete
  9. Hi Sharon ,Two weeks ago, I was there and I have similar pictures , hahaha:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts