Bedroom Update

This is a funny time of year….Spring has officially arrived, but it’s still cold…yesterday we had a sudden and unexpected hail storm lasting about 10 minutes, leaving everywhere covered with ice, the size of peas.  This morning the skies were clear and blue….looking like a summer’s day except for the temperature which was 11C, and now we hear that our icy temps might be with us well into July….but anyway enough obsessing about our weather which won't change no matter how much we talk about it!

A while ago I shared a little bedroom tweaking...not to be confused with twerking….this is a little far more sophisticated, a little less brash and in your face….if you want to check out the before pics read here  We've only made subtle changes, but even those small changes have drastically changed the look and atmosphere of the room.  One thing I love about working with a small budget is that it forces you to be more creative and come up with ideas to improve the overall look while still keeping the finances in check.  It’s doubly hard when the client lives in a city where vintage stores are rare and the merchandise unappealing and more appropriate for the dump than a makeover.

She was sending me pics via whatsapp, when eventually we decided it was probably better for me to try and source something over here as I had a good idea what I was looking for.  I scoured the internet for cushion covers without inners because sending cushions and feather inners over to SA didn't make sense and I didn't want to waste funds on something that could be bought in SA. I couldn't find anything I liked here in the UK, so I went to Esty.com, one of my favourite places to buy art and they have fabulous cushion designs.   I narrowed it down colour wise to about 20 cushions, made a folder for client and asked her to choose a few she really liked. Ultimately the client decides what she likes.  Sometimes you need to guide them in the right direction and this is what I did here.  She was happy.     We finally decided on this cushion which is kind of plain and simple, but it’s got a nice pattern without being too busy. I'm in two minds about teaming it up with a darker teal/blue velvet, or just throwing in a rectangular cushion in a different colour because my client is not into tons of cushions on the bed.

We also bought this stunning print.  We could have gone for the original, but again shipping the original all the way from Ireland to South Africa wasn't going to be cheap, so we went for the print option and it arrived today, nicely packed in a tube.  Super excited to get it out and see how it looks.  It will be framed just like in the picture below.  We ordered a large print which when framed is going to look great above the bed. My client isn't into a wall full of paintings, but I convinced her that a large painting above the bed would work.   Abstract paintings need to speak to the viewer and if they can keep you looking, guessing or evoke a certain feeling, then it’s a great painting.  Sometimes abstract paintings can look a little like something you know, and when I saw this one, it reminded me of the seaside. It’s soft and tranquil and suits my client perfectly.  That it’s blue like the cushions is quite unintentional and the soft pink/nude colours remind me of the sand.  It won’t feel out of place as my client lives about 10 minutes from the nearest beach and besides, I like it, she likes it! We are going for a pared down but cohesive space. The more I look at the rattan headboard, the more I like it.   It has two matching bedside tables, and they are staying as is.  I didn't want to go the route of painting everything white, I wanted to retain the integrity of the original pieces even though they aren't vintage, they kind of look vintage.

The cushion covers are from Motifpillows on Etsy



And the painting is from Lola Donaghue also on Etsy

More updates in a few weeks and I promise I won't mention the weather again!

If you'd like a room re-designed and want to get in touch, please send me an email on sharonjaneinteriors@hotmail.co.uk


Until next time
Sharon

PS: a while ago I told you about a friend of mine who has left England to spend six months on the tiny Island of St Helena...if you'd like to follow her journey read more about it here

Comments

  1. The weather is strange but your pictures are lovely! So far so good...
    Have a happy weekend Sharon, take care!
    Love,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Titti, somehow I missed posting replies on this post. x

      Delete
  2. Love the print you found on Etsy. It's beautiful! The weather in Holland is the same as in the UK. I am crossing my fingers for more sunshine with Easter.

    Happy week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to mention that your work sounds like fun!!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madelief, I had a lot of fun doing it, but it's not finished yet, I hope to be able to post a few pics shortly when client takes a few photos! x

      Delete
  4. I love both the painting and pillow cover...beautiful blue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Linda, thanks for stopping by. x

      Delete
  5. I too love the colour of the cushion and the picture - that's not probably surprising with blue being my favourite colour! How wonderful to give advice to someone in SA, we would never have those opportunities without the internet! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Sarah, the world has changed with technology, glad you like the colours! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts